A quick and simple, super tasty lemon rice that is jam packed full of lemony flavour. A great side to accompany, grilled meat and fish or as a side to a spicy curry.
WHAT IS LEMON RICE
This is a one pot, throw everything in and it will be ready in less than 30 minutes. It is a great dish to have on a week night or any night because it is so delicious and easy to make.
This rice dish is super lemony, like lemony enough to make your eyes squint when you swallow because it is made with fresh lemon juice and lemon zest.
Lemon rice with no onions or garlic? You may think this won’t work. Trust me there is no need for any onions or garlic all the flavour is from the lemons.
HOW TO MAKE LEMON RICE
Making lemon rice is a complex process of balancing flavours. It’s not as simple as squeezing lemon over your rice. You have to add your ingredients slowly and taste as you go to get it perfect and if you follow my steps below or do as what I do in the video here it will be easy to do and you will have the best rice.
- You need to fry your rice first to create a delicious nutty flavour and so your rice grains don’t stick together.
- Lemon juice is added to the rice whilst still dry so the flavour has time to penetrate through each grain.
- A stock cube is also added to the dry rice, so all that flavour gets right in and sticks to your rice.
- When the water is added it is lightly seasoned with salt and pepper and then you need to try it.
- It’ll have a hint of lemon but not that ‘wham bam thank you mam’ lemon in your face flavour. So this is when you add the lemon zest and when you taste it it’ll taste a little bitter. Add a little more salt and taste again and it’ll taste so much better. The sprinkling of salt will take the rice to the next level and the lemon will shine brightly and you wont taste the sugar, salt or zest because the rice will ne balanced out perfectly.
All this lemon juice and lemon zest will not only give you the lemony flavour you are looking for but will also give your rice a bright yellow colour.
WHAT GOES WITH LEMON RICE
Here are a few options:
- Crispy skinned salmon, sweet potatoes, broccoli and green beans. Click here to see how I make my 10 minute crispy skin salmon
- Grilled chicken, the perfect roast potatoes with a crispy skin and fluffy center and salad. Click here to see how I make my perfect roast potatoes with a crispy skin and fluffy center
- Greek lemon & honey leg of lamb and potatoes. Click here to see how I make my Greek lemon & honey leg of lamb and potatoes.
- Curry also works well because the spicy heat in curry is complimented by the sourness from rice.
- Most fish and seafood is delicious with this rice because fish and lemon are best friends.
WHO CAN EAT LEMON RICE?
This rice is great for the whole family. Young children love the sour flavour and no matter your age if you want to satisfy a sour craving then this is the rice for you.
Talking about cravings, I came up with this recipe when I was pregnant because I was craving something sour and this hit the spot. Also getting to eat the lemons while the rice cooked was so satisfying.
- Olive oil
- 1 cup Basmati rice
- 2 Lemons (juice and zest)
- 1 Stock cube
- 2 cups water
- Pinch Sugar
- Parsley to garnish (optional)
- 1 Pot
- 1 Spoon
- 1 Zester
- 1 Serving dish
- Heat oil in pan
- Add 1 cup of rice and give it a good stir so all your rice grains are covered with oil
- When your rice is turning a little golden add the juice of 2 lemons and stir well
- Crumbly in your stock cube and mash it into your rice
- Add 2 cups of water, salt and pepper give it a stir
- Add the zest of 2 lemons stir then your salt and sugar and leave it to simmer with the lid on until all the water has been absorbed
- Dish up and enjoy (",)