The humble potato,
But the most complicated is when you roast it.
If it is perfect the outside is crisp and crunchy and the inside is soft, fluffy and buttery,
But if you don’t get it right…
You’ll be left with a soggy, rubbery potato that doesn’t say much at all.
But don’t worry coz I’ve been experimenting and I have a fool proof recipe that’ll give you the perfect crispy skinned, fluffy centered roast potato.
What’s your secret I hear you ask?
Goose fat or duck fat my friends (“,)
If you don’t want to use animal fat you can also get the same results with, olive oil, butter or any other kind of fat, you just wont get the meaty umami flavour, but your potatoes will be crispy and fluffy (“,)
My next secret is to boil your potatoes for about 15 minutes and then bash them up in your colander to rough up the edges so when we add them to the hot oil, the oil will pool into each nook and cranny creating different depths of crispy texture (“,)
Watch the video below to see just how succulent my roast potatoes are, you can hear the crispiness and see how soft the center really is, it literally just falls out of my hands, they are that soft and juicy (“,)
Here is a tip that will save you a lot of time. Peel your potatoes the night or morning before you want to bake them and put them in a large bowl and fill it up with cold water. Make sure all your potatoes are submerged under the water and this will stop them browning and when it comes to cooking you will have one less thing to do (“,)
- 2kg potatoes, peeled and cut to the size you like
- 150g goose Fat or any other kind of fat, duck fat, olive oil, butter etc....
- 1 bulb of garlic, cloves still in their skin
- Dried oregano or herb of your choice
- Salt and Pepper
- Large pot
- Large baking tray
- Peel and cut your potatoes
- Add your potatoes to a large pan of salty water and boil for 10-15 minutes
- Whilst they are boiling add your goose fat to your baking tray and put it in the oven at 190c to melt
- Drain your potatoes in your colander then shake them around to rough up the edges
- Add your potatoes to your melted goose fat and roll them around so every part of each potato is covered with fat . Be careful because the fat will start spitting
- Put your potatoes in the oven for 25 minutes at 190c
- Take your potatoes out and roll them around in your fat to create another layer of crispy
- Add your garlic clove, oregano, salt and pepper and give everything another toss in the fat so all the flavours penetrate throughout every potato
- Put them back in the oven for another 25 minutes, or until they are perfect for you
- Take them out, tap the edges and hear the crispness then slice through and see just how fluffy they truly are
- Serve with a delicious roast or what ever tickles your fancy
- Sit back and relax knowing that you make the BEST potatoes (",)
Leave a Reply