Fasolakia is a Greek Cypriot vegan green bean stew, consisting of potatoes, green beans and tomatoes and is a great side or main dish.
WHAT IS FASOLAKIA – GREEK GREEN BEANS WITH TOMATOES
Fasolakia is balanced perfectly with sweetness from the tomatoes and onions, the potatoes add deep umami to the dish and absorb all the flavours. Garlic adds a subtle fragrance. The French beans are not cooked for too long so add a nice crisp texture and also an earthy bitterness. I use lemon juice to balance the sweetness and saltiness of the dish and top it with lemon zest for some freshness along with some chopped parsley.
HOW TO MAKE FASOLAKIA – FASOLAKIA FRESKA
Fasolakia is super easy to make. You basically ad everything to your pot and leave it to simmer. But you do need to follow a few things and keep your eye out to get the best flavour and texture.
- Don’t over cook your onions. When you add them to your pan, cook them until they soften a little watch my video here or below to see what they should look like. Don’t let them caramelise because if they are cooked for too long they will end up crisping up and tasting bitter. To stop this happening, cook your onions for a few minutes and then every time you add an ingredient it will reduce the temperature and cook your onions slowly resulting in soft, silky, sweet onions.
- Keep an eye on the bottom of your pan after you have added in your garlic. When the base of your pan starts to go brown that is an indication to add your potatoes. Adding them at this point stops your garlic and onions from over cooking and tasting bitter.
- Make sure you cut your potatoes small and also the same size. Cutting them small will mean your green bean stew cooks faster and cutting your potatoes the same size will ensure everything cooks at them same time.
- Cook your fasolakia – green beans for the last 15 minutes. Don’t cook them for any longer so you have a nice bite to your beans and they don’t become mushy.
INGREDIENTS FOR FASOLAKIA φασολακι αγγλικα
You only need 12 ingredients to make a delicious pot of fasolakia Greek green bean stew
- 1 1/2 tbsp olive oil
- 1 onion
- 2 garlic cloves
- 500g potatoes
- 1 stock cube
- 400g tinned tomatoes
- 1 Lemon juice
- 200g Green beans
- Lemon zest
Read below for my fasolakia recipe φασολακι συνταγη.
In this recipe I make fasolaki with potatoes and green beans. If you don’t want to add potatoes you can make them without and just skip the potato part of the recipe.
You can also add meat to your fasolaki. The most commen is chicken and it is called φασολακι με κοτοπουλο in Greek. When I add chicken I season my chicken pieces with with olive oil, salt, pepper and oregano and grill it until cooked and then add it to my fasolaki when it has finished cooking.
You can also add pork and lamb to your fasolakia, and cook them the same way as the chicken above, this is called fasolakia me kreas in Greek.
WHAT TO SERVE WITH YOUR FASOLAKIA
When you plate up grate over some lemon zest to lift up and freshen all the flavours. Sprinkle over some chopped parsley and make sure to have some bread on the side to wipe your plate clean because this fasolaki is ‘ALL ABOUT THE FLAVOUR’ and you are going to want to eat every last bit.
- 1 1/2 tbsp Olive oil
- 1 Onion (chopped)
- 2 Garlic cloves (chopped)
- 500 g Potatoes (peeled, chopped small)
- 1 Stock cube (chicken or vegetable)
- 400 g Tinned tomatoes
- Salt & Pepper (to taste)
- 1 Lemon (juice)
- 200 g French beans (any type of green beans)
- 1 Lemon (zest)
- Parsley (chopped)
- 1 Pan (with lid)
- 1 Spoon
- 1 Knife
- 1 Zester/Grater
- In your pan add 1 1/2 tablespoons of olive oil and heat it on a low heat. Add 1 chopped onion and fry for 1 minute until soften. Then in with 2 garlic cloves and cook for another minute on a low heat
- Add 500g of chopped potatoes give everything a stir and leave everything to cook for 3 minutes
- Add in your stock cube and mash it all in. Stir it in well so all your potatoes are covered in it
- Pour in 400g of tinned tomatoes, salt and pepper and the juice of 1 lemon, stir everything well and put a lid on your and simmer for 15 minutes
- While everything is cooking prep your beans click here to watch how to prep and freeze green beans
- When your potatoes are soft add in 200g green beans, give them a stir, put the lid back on and simmer for 10 minutes
- After 10 minutes have a check and if your stew is thick add a little water to loosen your sauce. Stir everything again, put the lid back on and simmer for 5 minutes
- When you plate up grate over some lemon zest and sprinkle over some chopped parsley