My favourite fruit is strawberries!
Serve them up with some cream and I’m very happy (“,)
Add a bit of meringue for some texture and sweetness and I’m extremely happy (“,)
Add a delicious sweet and sour sauce over it all and I have one of my favourite desserts, EVER!
So I knew I had to share my this deliciousness with you all because, well…..
It is sooooo TASTY (“,)
Oh and so simple to make.
The meringue takes the longest but most of that time is spent in the oven, and that’s when you can get all your other elements ready. Like the sweet and sour strawberry sauce.
SWEET & SOUR SAUCE
Lets just take a moment and appreciate the amazingness of this sauce. It’s sweet and sour and smooth and textured all at the same time. So once it hits your taste buds the party is starting because all our different taste buds are mingling together in the party.
But do you know the best part?
It is so simple to make. I know I say that all the time but come on, putting some strawberries, sugar and lemon juice in a pan and letting it turn into a sauce aint much effort or time consuming and the end result out weighs the tiny effort 100x.
THE SILKIEST CREAM
What you have to be careful with is your cream. You have to whip it so it isn’t too runny or too thick so it compliments the crunchy meringue perfectly and drapes silkily over the strawberries with each mouthful. If you watch my video below you can see what I’m talking about in a lot more detail, just remember to keep an eye on your beaters and when they start to make ripples in your cream stop whipping.
THE PERFECT MERINGUE
Let’s get back to our meringue for a moment.
I like to make my meringue so it is crunchy on the outside and soft and fluffy like marshmallow in the middle so there are more textures in the dessert. If you prefer to have a more chewy centered meringue turn your oven up from 100C to 110C from the start and leave it to cool in your oven whilst your oven comes to it’s normal temperature.
Oh yeah and we can’t forget the most important element,
The strawberries (“,)
Make sure that they are in season because they will make or break your dessert. Make sure your strawberries smell fruity and are not soft or mushy.
If they don’t smell fruity they are probably not ripe yet.
If they are soft or mushy, they are overripe and too sweet, which means there is no sourness to compliment the sweetness and also the texture is too soft and it will be like eating mush. Whereas if your strawberries have a bit of bite to them they will make the dessert pop and taste amazing (“,)
- 4 egg whites from organic medium eggs (about 150g)
- double the amount of egg whites to get the amount of sugar needed (300g)
- 400ml double cream
- 400g strawberries
- 100g frozen strawberries
- 40g sugar
- Juice of 1 lemon
- Stand mixer
- Baking tray
- Baking Paper
- Whisk / Electric Whisk
- Serving Dish / Serving Plate
- Preheat oven to 200C
- Weigh your egg whites and then double that amount and use that for the amount of sugar you will need
- Put you sugar in a tray and place in the oven for 5 minutes
- Beat egg whites until stiff peaks (Turn your bowl upside down and if your meringue doesn't fall out they are perfect
- When your sugar is ready take it out of the oven and turn your oven down to 100C
- On a medium speed add a spoonful of your hot sugar to your egg whites at a time ad when you have added all the sugar beat for another 5 minutes or when you feel you meringue between your fingers you cant feel any sugar granules
- Add your meringue to the center of your lined baking tray and make a circle. The get a spoon and make a dip in the center (this will be filled with our cream)
- Bake in the oven for an hour and half or until the whole meringue comes off of the baking paper without sticking. Then turn the oven off and leave it in there to cool until your oven is back to it's normal temperature
- Whisk your cream until your beaters start to make ripples (watch the video below for more details)
- In a pan add your frozen strawberries, sugar and lemon juice on a low heat and cook until they form a sauce
- Using your spoon mash some of the big chunks of strawberry to create different textures
- Cut and wash your strawberries
- Place your meringue on your serving dish
- Add your cream to the center of your meringue
- Top with your chopped strawberries
- Drizzle over with your strawberry sauce
- Enjoy (",)
Watch the video below to see it made in more detail
Leave a Reply