I think sides are just as important as the main meal.
I always love a plate full of food with different textures and flavours,
It maybe because of all the mezes I’ve eaten growing up, but us Greeks got it right in that department (“,)
Having a few dips, some raw and cooked veg on the side makes every meal more enjoyable,
Oh yeah and not forgetting the bread…..
Having bread to dip in your dips, soak up your meals sauces and wipe your plate clean so you don’t miss out on any flavour is simply the best. If you’d like an easy farmhouse loaf recipe click here.
I thought I’d start of with one of my favourite, easiest and quickest dips to make,
If you have no idea what I’m talking about you may know talaoturi’s cousin tzatziki.
The difference between the two is Talatouri is from Cyprus and us Greeks add dried mint to our Greek yogurt, cucumber and garlic. Whereas tzatziki comes from Greece and they don’t add dried mint to there’s.
This dip can be made in under 15 minutes,
Is so easy you can get your kids to do it,
And you only need 5 ingredients!
Make sure to get the small skinny cucumbers because they have less seeds in them which means less moisture in your dip. If you can only get your hands on the big cucumbers scrape out the seeds with a spoon and then grate.
Only use Greek yogurt because it is thicker than other yogurts and we are going for a thick dip not a watery one. Try and use the full fat Greek yogurt because the low fat one isn’t as thick so you dip will be looser.
Grate your garlic with caution. Start with a little, mix everything together and then taste. If you think it needs more add more. But once you add to much you can’t go back and you will be left with a hot heated yogurt dip rather that a cool refreshing one.
- 1 handful Cucumber (grated )
- 500 g Full Fat Greek Yogurt
- 1/4 Clove Garlic (grated)
- Dried Mint (to taste)
- Small Bowl
- Serving Dish
- Grate your cucumber
- Place your sieve on a bowl and add your grated cucumber to your sieve
- Sprinkle salt over your cucumber and stir well. Put it to one side for 10 minutes so the salt can draw out all the cucumbers water
- Pick up all your cucumber and squeeze out any excess water then add it to your serving dish
- Add 500g Greek yogurt to your serving dish and give everything a quick stir
- Grate 1/4 clove f garlic into your dish and stir everything together
- Add some dried mint and stir one last time so everything mingles in well
- Then ENJOY! (",)
Watch the video below to see just how easy this talatouri dip is to make.
Kali Orexi (“,)
Leave a Reply